Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tradition

There's an 18th century Scottish tradition that after a woman's wedding wedding day, the new bride would immediately begin embroidering her death shroud in which she would be buried years in the future.

It doesn't take much imagination to anticipate the social commentary on that tradition. Once you're married you can start the business of dying.  Instead of expanding further, I think it's much more interesting to anticipate how each of my college friends are responding to this idea.  I've also realized that my friends enjoy blogs with self-referential content and multiple shout outs. So, here goes:


Ruthie is laughing her muppet laugh at the idea that marriage and death are the only two options for women c. 1730. Mostly, she looooooves to laaauuuuuugh!

Alice is wondering how I know odd facts like this and is feeling slightly as though marriage and death are similar phenomena.

Carrie is throwing up in the back of her throat, for both personal and cultural reasons.

Katie is probably questioning the content of my blog in general.

Nefret is probably gave her concerned face on behalf of Scottish women, and is now giggling. She's also thinking "could I knit a death shroud in 3 movies or less?"

The Jewel is wondering where one fits in a baby farm between marriage and death.


Jayme is probably wondering if she'll need to add in special hooks into her death shroud to cover her ample bosom like she did with button down shirts in college. (Actually she's thinking impatient thoughts about her boyfriend who she loves very much, but I thought it was impolite to mention those)

6 comments:

  1. haha. i so could! 3 movies or less and then my life is over. how uplifting!

    ps- i love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm hellooooo - what do I think??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen women, you have lots of options. Except when it comes to wearing a veil at your wedding--- YOU MUST WEAR A VEIL OR YOU'LL RUIN THE WEDDING.

    ReplyDelete